In thinking about what to post today, one word just kept coming to mind. Gratitude.
the quality of being thankful; readiness to show appreciation for and to return kindness.
Gratitude is a word you hear a lot in yoga classes, and one that I never thought about much until I turned into such a YOGI! I was always thankful for the people in my life, the food on my table, and the clothes on my back…but I didn’t spend as much time on the second part of the definition.
So today, I’m going to share a little-mini-baby-small-not-even-close-to-everything-list-of-thanks to show some appreciation, because Thanksgiving isn’t the only time to be thankful.
(Just a few) Things I’m Grateful For…
- The way my boyfriend giggles even when he’s trying SO HARD not to.
- How crunchy leaves under my feet remind me of one of my best friends who moved away.
- The bulldog I became a Mother to…I say I hate him but I really don’t. But sometimes I do.
- Having visited NYC, Barcelona, Paris, and Copenhagen all in the first half of this year- and planning for future international travel.
- The 6:45 am yoga class I took yesterday that I assumed would be “easy” …and actually kicked my barely awake a$$.
- Watching one of the girls I nanny sound out words. Learning how to read words across a page is such a magical thing.
- Playing board games with my family- and the ALWAYS ensuing hysterics.
- Cheese. I’m grateful for cheese.
- Taylor Swift’s new album that hasn’t even dropped that I just already know I’m grateful for. #swiftieforlife
- All the experiences that come with being in an interracial relationship.
- My curly headed blonde muffin of a nephew Soren, who makes me smile simply by existing.
- This blog, because it never tells me to shutup.
WOW THAT WAS FUN!
But really, have you ever just sat down and thought of detailed things you’re simply so happy to see exist? Go beyond the typical “I’m thankful for my family and my friends blah blah” and see what really comes to mind. I could write a list like this every day and come up with something different…there’s just so much to appreciate.
The next step in this is to turn that list from a “grateful” list to a “thank you” list. That’s the “readiness to SHOW appreciation” part of the definition. Does a certain friend keep popping up on your list? Or a mentor from work that’s really been helping you out? Let them know. I bet they’re grateful for you, too.
Lastly, I couldn’t forget to add The Office and specifically Dwight K. Schrute, (and Tumblr for more memes than I can count) for all the laughs. AND THE LA DODGERS GAME WHERE I SAW DWIGHT THROW THE FIRST PITCH. I’m very grateful for that. Okay, I’m really done.
What’s on your list today?